My experience with an intercultural conflict took place while I was holidaying in France a year back. While no altercations manifested, it left me with a lingering sense of provacation and embarrasment.
It was a fine day in a quaint little town in Normandy. Noon was fast approaching and my friends and I decided to stop at a men's wear boutique before breaking for lunch. We were unaware that the shop was already cleared of all customers. There was a sense of impatience that marked the demeanor of the sales representative, but we gave it little thought. Shortly after, the sales representative came up to us and told us to leave the shop so he could close for lunch. There was a long period of silence that ensued as we were stunned by such an exclamation. Feeling mightily insulted, we left the shop, bitter. However, it soon dawned upon us that most of the shops along the same street had closed for lunch as well. We enquired with a local regarding the situation and were informed it was actually a daily practice for stores to close for lunch.
Our anger and irritation were misplaced. In Singapore, we hardly ever came across the sign "closed for lunch". We took that expectation along with us to France and most probably had irked the sales representative in the process. The later parts of the trip were marked with similar occurrences. Even in a big department store like Galeries Lafayette, we realised staff tended to leave their outlets during lunch. After the incident, we were made more aware of the distinct cultures that mark our separate national identities.
It was a fine day in a quaint little town in Normandy. Noon was fast approaching and my friends and I decided to stop at a men's wear boutique before breaking for lunch. We were unaware that the shop was already cleared of all customers. There was a sense of impatience that marked the demeanor of the sales representative, but we gave it little thought. Shortly after, the sales representative came up to us and told us to leave the shop so he could close for lunch. There was a long period of silence that ensued as we were stunned by such an exclamation. Feeling mightily insulted, we left the shop, bitter. However, it soon dawned upon us that most of the shops along the same street had closed for lunch as well. We enquired with a local regarding the situation and were informed it was actually a daily practice for stores to close for lunch.
Our anger and irritation were misplaced. In Singapore, we hardly ever came across the sign "closed for lunch". We took that expectation along with us to France and most probably had irked the sales representative in the process. The later parts of the trip were marked with similar occurrences. Even in a big department store like Galeries Lafayette, we realised staff tended to leave their outlets during lunch. After the incident, we were made more aware of the distinct cultures that mark our separate national identities.
Hi Aldrich! Thanks for your blog post! I definitely learnt something about the French culture from this entry! Even though I went France a few years back, I did not encounter this so I was totally unaware up till now. Interesting!
ReplyDeleteIn fact, I believe this is one 'mistake' that tourists make when they visit another country. We tend to expect to receive the same treatment that we are used to back in our homes. Honestly, I think traveling is all about learning about another country's cultures and it is always advisable to do some research about their social norms and cultures before the trip itself to prepare themselves from any possible culture shock! This is especially so for countries with strong cultural influences and traditions such as Japan!
Anyway here's two sentences that I personally felt that could be better!
We were unaware that the shop had cleared of all customers - We were unaware that the shop was already cleared of its customers.
... most probably had irked the sales representative in the process also - ...most probably irked the sales representative at the same time.
Just some suggestions and do correct me instead if I'm wrong too! (:
Hi Aldrich,
ReplyDeleteThat is an interesting fact to read. I think the phrase “The customer is always right” probably only applies in Singapore. There seems to be more welfare for the staff in other countries. I had a similar experience in Japan a few years ago where they would clear the shop early so that all staffs are able to catch the public transport home.
In your last paragraph, I feel that “in the process” has the similar meaning to “also”. Using them together makes it slightly strange for me. Do correct me if I am wrong.
I like the way your present your experience. It is concise and clear. Despite the short entry, it clearly illustrates the intercultural difference between shopping in Singapore and shopping in France.
Cheers,
Chee Siang
Hi Aldrich,
ReplyDeleteWas it the tone of the sales staff that made you feel angry? If that was the case, he should have noticed that you definitely do not look French and might not be aware of the local practices. He could have further explained the need to close the shop. I have had a similar experience in SG, in which the salesgirl told us to come back in 5minutes as she had to go the toilet urgently. The French salesman could have stated what time you could return to shop again.
Also, it may be better to observe more about the unfamilar situations when overseas. You have done it right to observe the other shops in the area to get a better picture. It is best to avoid conflicts when you are in another country. Who knows what can happen out there!
Thanks for sharing. It made me realise how sales jobs are different in France. It's like an office job where proper lunch time is given. I infer that being in the sales line garner as much respect as other industries, definitely a nice experience working there..
Hi all,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comments. I have made the changes! I appreciate the effort taken to identify my mistakes.
Evonne: Yeah seems like a pretty great environment to work in as compared to the hustle and bustle of Singapore.
cheers,
aldrich
Hi Aldrich,
ReplyDeleteThe month I spent in France did make me familiar with the story you told, and hence I can relate to how you and your friends must have felt during the experience. In France, what I found to be even more difficult to adapt to was the closure of all shops at no later than 6pm. But I did eventually adjust to the lifestyle there, and in fact, I started to do that so much such that when I returned to Singapore, I found it hard to cope with the quickened pace!
As for your post, I found your description to be very concise, and it made it very easy to understand the circumstances and the characters involved. And like all your other posts, it was a joy to read because the language used was easy to understand. It shows the effort put in them and I really appreciate that as a reader. :)
When we travel, there is a tendency for us to start comparing cultures. But I guess sometimes it’s not really about comparing which way is better, but more of understanding and appreciating the various practices. Thank you for sharing your experience, and your thoughts on it. It has definitely helped in my understanding of the subject.
Hi Aldrich! Perhaps due to a difference in race, you are not used to it. What I mean is, shops in Singapore are trying to gather as much profits as possible, so even for lunch time periods, we can see a couple of people manning the shops. However, correct me if I am wrong, the life in France is comparably slower in pace and less hectic. I always thought that many countries out there (without much Chinese population) will have a slow-paced lifestyle such as Australia and New Zealand. However, I have a question in mind. The sales representative spoke to you in French or English? I gathered from my uncle whom has gone to France for his undergraduate studies that the French are quite proud, and despise those that do not speak the French language. If that’s the case, then I can fully empathize your feeling of being insulted by the sales representative.
ReplyDeleteThis experience of yours literally has brought me to France virtually, and I really hope to be there personally, despite the negative remarks I have gotten. Personally, I like your writing and it really describes vividly the whole process. Looks like you have reinstated the doubts I have had when my uncle used to tell me about his experience in France. Maybe I can get a pointer or two from you before I go for my holiday trip to France, Paris to be precise.
Regards,
Ivan
This is a fine description, Aldrich, easy to read and entertaining. I like he way you say that you had taken your expectation regarding the behavior of shop clerks along with you to France. At the same time, as you conclude your evaluation, you miss an opportunity to use the key phrase: different norms. You and your group were violating a norm simply by walking into the shop at lunch time, so indeed, you all were at fault. The way the French value a down time, and the way they perceive taking the midday meal, is reflected in such a norm.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, thank you for sharing this interesting story with us.